Thursday, October 27, 2011

Mommy Hormones - Migraines and Moodswings

I wanted to share something that I have recently discovered.  After having my youngest, mini C, I began having 5-8 migraines a month.  I'm talking the kind of migraine where you have no choice but to lay in a dark room with no noise.  They were not something I could tough through and Tylenol, Excedrin, etc did not even TOUCH them. 

In addition to these migraines, I also started experiencing incredible PMS symptoms.  My mood swings were out of this world and there was NOTHING I could do about it.  I am one of the lucky ones who has never really had too many symptoms around that time of the month but, holy macaroni, something had changed.

At one point, my mood swings reached an all time high and I decided to go to the doctor.  I am very lucky to go to a doctor who does not resort straight to birth control.  Instead, she actually looked at my hormones and treated the problem...not the symptom.  She gave me a hormone supplement and off I went.  The first month, my mood swings were immediately better and my migraine's decreased by 2 or 3.  The second month, they were gone...completely and utterly gone.

The point of me telling you this is that we are rarely told to have our hormones checked.  With every baby, your hormones shift and change.  If you are experiencing any symptoms that you have never experienced before and especially if they are affecting your life negatively...GO TO THE DOCTOR!  Ask them not to jump straight to the 'pill' as that does not pinpoint the problem.  If you go in confident that you know what you want, they will listen to you and check your hormones.

We, as women, need to take our hormones very seriously.  They can make or break a day, a week, A LIFE!  I wish hormones were talked about more openly because they really do have huge effect on our bodies and our lives.  Think about it, every month our hormones change dramatically and then, if we get pregnant, we've got a solid 18 months of being out of whack (not to mention nursing!)...THAT'S HUGE! 

Pay attention, acknowledge them, and take control.  It is your body.  Just because we experience so many changes does NOT mean that we can't feel great on a daily basis!

End pep talk ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

up