Friday, September 23, 2011

Making Sense of Teething

Watching your baby get his/her first teeth is often a very painful experience...for everybody.  The poor baby's gums hurt, she won't stop screaming, and there is NOTHING you can do about it.  It's a terrible position to be in!

Back in the day, parents used to take alcohol and rub it on their childs gums (we may or may not have tried this and it may or may not have worked).  From what I hear, it helps numb their gums until the tylenol starts working.  

While tylenol has always been our first plan of action, it wasn't until tylenol didn't help that we learned about combining tylenol and motrin.  How it was explained to me was that tylenol helps with the PAIN of cutting the teeth and the motrin helps with the THROBBING of the swollen tissue surrounding the tooth.  Makes sense to me! 

The only other piece of brilliant advice I have ever been given about teething is that if the baby is not bothered by teething during the day, its not teething at night.  That was very helpful to me when I was trying to figure out a recent 'sleep disturbance' with my youngest daughter.  My immediate reaction to her waking up during the night was 'oh, she must be teething'.  But, she didn't say word one about it during the day. So, I was able to cross that off my list of possibilities to get her back to normal sleep.

I hope this information proves to be as valuable for you as it has been for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

up