Thursday, September 29, 2011

I Never Thought I'd LOVE My Laundry Room


 A couple of years ago, I decided to read TLC's, Michelle and Jim-Bob Duggar's first book "The Duggars, 20 and Counting". 

I have never been much of a reader but, oh my gosh, I read it in a day!  At the time, I was pregnant with #2 and realizing that in order to have two kids so close together, I was going to have to get organized.  Let me tell you, Michelle Duggar is the QUEEEN of organizing!  I was in heaven reading about her practical recommendations for things around the house.

My favorite piece of advice was her clothes closet.  When they built their new home, they intentionally built an additional room next to the laundry room.  This room holds everybody's clothes.  Putting away those clean clothes is no longer an issue and it simplifies things because its all in one place.

So, once we moved into our new home, I decided I was going to make my own version of this closet.  Unfortunately, I do not have an entire room to dedicate to clothes, but as of now, I only have three kids so I could get creative with the space I did have. 


This is what I did.  Under the wire racks that lined the walls of my laundry room, I took a hanging pocket shoe organizer and turned it sideways.  I then attached it to the wire racks with zip-ties (yes, we are a zip-tie family...my husband is obssessed).  Once I had it up, I designated 4 slots to each child, giving the two big slots to my son. 

Now, when laundry comes out of the dryer, I just fold it and put it into the proper cubby and I'm done.  I keep their pajamas upstairs in their dresser, along with any clothing I have bought for the next size or season, that way after bathtime, their pj's are easily accessible.  In the laundry room, I have a panty/underwear basket for Little P and Little C and then each child also has a container for their socks.

I cannot even begin to tell you how much this system has simplified my life.  I don't climb stairs constantly when getting the kids dressed in the morning, I don't have clothes all over the house from getting dressed and undressed, and MOST importantly, I can keep up easily.  Between this and my clothes buying system, I never get overwhelmed with large amounts of clothes being scattered about the house.  I know exactly what everybody has and it's all in one place...how simple is that!

3 comments:

  1. This is interesting. My laundry room is downstairs and our bedrooms are upstairs so I can see how it would be useful but I guess my question is does everybody get dressed downstairs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. I get everybody dressed in the living room every morning. I've also started UNDRESSING them downstairs before bath time, too. It was a good way to teach THEM to put their dirty clothes in the hamper at the end of every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good idea. It would be an especially good idea if the laundry were upstairs.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

up