Thursday, November 3, 2011

Decorating is Just Not My Thing

So, I have to be honest.  When I was a little girl, I thought that once I was married and had my own house, I would just naturally have this ability to decorate.  Curtains, rugs, furniture, lamps...ALL OF IT!

Well, unfortunately, my little bubble has been POPPED! 

This is my living room
(plus tan paint)

Now, before you tell me how GENIUS I am in the decorating department (sarcasm), let me tell you something.  Those lamps, those amazingly, beautiful, and unique (again, sarcasm) lamps, yes, they don't work.  Now, to rock your mind a little more...the lamp shades, yea, they are barely balancing on the cross bar.  They are not even properly attached, unless you consider zip-ties proper. 

So, here's my thing.  I need new lamps (one table and one floor) and I need curtains.  Those windows are still completely bare, besides the shades that came with the house.  The problem is that I. STINK. AT. DECORATING! 

I don't even have an idea in my head!  I walk into a store and I go blank (remember my A.D.D. post).  Oh, and I can't spend a ton of money.  Who am I joking, why WOULD I spend a ton of money when I have a 1, 2, and 3 year old to mess them up?!? 

So, do you have any brilliant ideas for me?!?  Suggestions?  Help?!!

4 comments:

  1. Decorating IS my "thing" (along with home improvements :) I'll try to help.

    It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like the room has some deep reds, dark browns, and other neutrals mixed in. And it looks like you lean more toward comfy traditional/transitional style. So based on that and the fact that you said your walls are now tan, I would say go for either a bold/deep color curtain, or a bold dark print. The room is off balance right now with the big wall of windows, and something big & dark will balance out those couches well.

    After a quick Target browsing, here's what I think...

    For the curtains, I would go with something like these: http://www.target.com/p/Target-Home-Banded-Window-Panel-Brown/-/A-13302033

    or these: http://www.target.com/p/Emerson-Rod-Pocket-Panel-Chocolate/-/A-11416510

    with a rod like this: http://www.target.com/p/Target-Home-Drapery-Rod-Knob-Oil-Rubbed-Bronze/-/A-13299749?reco=Rec_pdp_13299749_ClickCP_Adjacency

    and tie-backs like these to give a more dramatic look when they aren't drawn shut: http://www.target.com/p/Target-Home-Oil-Rubbed-Bronze-Holdback/-/A-13096991

    As for the lamps, go with what you like. There's no secret to picking out lamps in a room as neutral as yours is. I think a pop of a deep red would look great. Like this: http://www.target.com/p/Floor-Lamp-with-Red-Shade-Black/-/A-10704221

    and this: http://www.target.com/p/Resin-Accent-Lamp-with-Shade-Caramelized-Espresso-Red/-/A-10717754

    I also love this table lamp. It's less "safe" and more fun. I have two similar to it with patterned grey shades on our nightstands: http://www.target.com/p/Crystal-Table-Lamp-Red-Shade-Includes-CFL-Bulb/-/A-13361820

    Good luck! Hope that helps some.
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Remember that the lamps don't have to match perfectly or come as a set. In fact, variation will help add more interest to the room and give it a more expensive look, even if you don't pay expensive prices (and who wants to do that?). :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charlotte, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I so appreciate all of your help and recommendations. How you did it is exactly what I needed! I ended up using the curtains from my guest bedroom (left from the old owners). They are a pretty deep green...I'll have to take an updated picture. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

up